Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Day the Music Died

My brother used to take his guitar
on Saturday mornings and play.
He had long hair 
and acne
and he sang along to songs
I'd never heard.
Bye, bye Miss American Pie
drove my Chevy to the levee
but the levee was dry...
My mom would chime in
and my dad would smile
Sister would listen and laugh
and I never danced on the outside
because on the inside
I flew.

His hair is now cut,
the acne gone
and I think he's put on a few pounds.
He hasn't played his guitar in 18 months,
and now I know every word to American Pie
along with everyone
who grew up in the seventies. 
Sister is waiting,
and my dad is bald.
My mom listens to 
Sirius XM Prime Country.
And I know it's a cliche,
but every time I hear that song
I fly
but more importantly
I dance.
Because I wish I would have danced,
danced to show my appreciation,
danced to show my feelings,
danced to show my love,
because maybe
just maybe
that would make things different now.

I saw Satan laughing with delight
the day the music died.

1 comment:

  1. "His hair is now cut,
    the acne gone"

    This is absolutely beautiful. I adore that song and the picture you painted in my mind is just beautiful.
    "pink carnations and a pick-up truck"

    It all reminds me of my brother who's now gone too.

    ReplyDelete